The Worimi Aboriginal people called Stockton “Burrinbingon”, it was an area that was rich with wildlife and had an abundance of food resources.
Stockton’s white settlement arrived just before 1800 and originally it was named Pirates Point.
For most of the 1800s, Stockton was used as a mining and industrial base.
Between 1800 and 1851 several industries were established at Stockton, these included a sawpit, salt works, an iron foundry and Stockton Shipbuilding Co.
The first ferry service to Newcastle was by row boat in 1853.
Stockton’s first School opened in 1861.
The Stockton Coal Company commenced operations in the 1880s.
Burials began at Stockton Cemetery in 1890, and it is still used today.
Before 1920, many of Stockton’s houses only had names, there were no numbers.
In 1940 Slazenger (the sporting goods manufacturer) established a shipyard at Stockton.
Stockton bridge was built in 1971. It’s 51 metres at the highest point and 1024 metres long.
One of Stockton’s more notable landmarks is the wreck of the MV Sygna, a Norwegian bulk carrier that ran aground on Stockton beach in May 1974 on its maiden voyage during a large storm. Very little of the stern section still remains on the beach, the bow section was broken up in Taiwan after spending nearly 2 years at Salamander Bay.
Stockton has over 30 kilometres of beaches.